From “Bounty Hunting” article in the September 2017 issue.
Apple Butter Pumpkin Pie
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 eggs 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 cup apple butter
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon each ground ginger, clove, and nutmeg
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pastry shell
- Whipped cream and toasted chopped pecan pieces for garnish
- In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar and cornstarch, then add next 5 ingredients and stir well. Whisk in salt and spices until well blended. Pour into pastry shell.
- Bake at 400° for 50–55 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cover edges loosely with foil during the last 20 minutes if necessary.
- Cool the pie on wire rack. Garnish with whipped cream and pecans if desired.