Chef Sllin Cruz offers this gourmet version of everyone’s favorite soup, fancied up with lobster and fresh corn.
12 Roma tomatoes
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced yellow onion
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
2 teaspoons tomato paste
6 cups chicken stock
½ cup fresh basil
4 cups heavy cream
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon butter
1 shallot, thinly sliced
3 ounces lobster meat, roughly chopped
1 cup sweet corn
1. Dry-roast the tomatoes in a hot pan without any oil for 7 minutes, turning occasionally, until the skin is nicely charred on all sides. Allow to cool, then peel and set aside.
2. In a large soup pot, melt butter over medium heat and then add celery, carrots, onions, and garlic. Sauté until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
3. Chop the tomatoes and add to the pot with tomato paste, chicken stock, basil, and cream. Let simmer until tomatoes have completely softened, about 20 minutes.
4. Carefully puree soup in batches and season with salt and pepper.
5. For the garnish, melt butter in a medium pan and sauté shallot until it starts to sweat. Stir in lobster and corn and cook until warmed through. Serve a spoonful in each bowl of soup.